My taper for Ironman Wisconsin has undergone some drastic revisions in the last 10 days. All because of a little race called Pigman. In terms of results, I’m pretty disappointed in the outcome. However, in terms of learning things – I (thus far) am of the opinion that I learned a lot about my body in terms of athletic performance.
Time will tell if my taper revisions will pan out, I certainly hope they do. For my own future reference and your enjoyment, I’m going to document my taper thoughts over the next two weeks. I’ll try to cover:
- The original plan and why I was going to do that
- The revised plan and why.
- Past tapers and their results.
- Why I dislike tapering
- An examination of some races over the last 3 seasons – and my thoughts on why they turned out the way they did – given current insights
- An examination of race performances that I don’t understand why they turned out that way.
- The results of the revision
I’ll try and cover those topics in that order, but they may shift/merge and even simply not get covered. The results will be pretty evident to all sometime on 9/12!