Yesterday as I was on the bike trainer for my long ride (yes I rode 5:30 on the trainer, and yes it was a very nice day – more on that later) I came to realize something. The folks out there that are fast, they are in a completely different Zip Code then I am.
How did I come to that realization – beyond the fact that I got smoked by some fast dudes at Rockman last week there is this. Specifically look at what Black accomplished on Wednesday and Saturday bike wise. This weekend I attempted my first long ride where I tried to insert some interval type efforts, not knowing what to try I grabbed one from Gordo’s book and did: 60 minutes EZ, 40 minute Steady, 20 as 5×3 @ Threshold; 40 steady, 5×3 @ HIM Low Cadence, 40 steady 5×3 @ just survive, and the remainder of the 5:30 ride just keep the wheels turning.
I could not believe how challenging that workout was, being able to accomplish workouts like Blake did – provides a clear insight into why he is so damn fast.
I got a lot of food for thought over that – and a definite slap in the face about where I stand (which is a good thing!)
Last week was the first of 5 planned tough weeks before Racine. It went really well, if I can knock this type of week out 4 more times before Racine I will be on cloud 9 about my fitness leading into the race. Then it’s up to me to be a Razor – and cut.
The week was:
- AM – Off
- PM – Swim – 6×150 SCM @ 2:15 – I held 1:55 for all of them
- AM – Off
- PM – Run 2 hours – Didn’t push the pace because of being only a couple days after Rockman
- AM – Swim – 4×200 SCM @ 2:55 – held 2:45
- PM – 2:30 Bike + 30 minute run. Did 2×20 @ HIM on the bike. Run went good, but was forced
- AM – 1:30 Bike + 30 EZ Run – 3×13 Hard @ ~3 minutes rest (302, 303, 305 for wattage)
- PM – Swim – 3×600 SCM @ 9:00 held 8:15
- AM – 90 minute EZ Spin
- PM – Hour temp run with 20 minutes hard – averaged 6:05/6:06
- AM – 3:15 Ride – no plan just rode as terrain/wind required; 40 minute run after
- PM – 30 minute swim – 1,000 LCM : 14:41
- 5:30 bike (on the trainer to get plenty of SST time); inserted 5×3 @ FTP, 5×3 @ HIM low cadence, and 5×3 @ HIM + 30 minute run (went really well considered how I felt getting off the bike)
- Swim – 10k meters (little lighter then I’d like)
- Bike – 260 miles
- Run – 40.7 miles
Hoping to do something similar this week, but the weekend is in question as I might be headed up to Stevens Point to visit the old college stomping grounds!